Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Click -- Pick Me!

When I applied for the job I held for almost two decades until I retired this summer, I didn't yet have email or even an Internet connection. At least I had a computer for creating a master cover letter to revise with each application, an easily refreshed resume and even a way to "type" addresses on an envelope.

As for the job search? I did it the old fashioned way -- reading ads in the newspaper and sending hopeful snail mails to bricks and mortar offices. Tedious. Time-consuming. Not very rewarding. And once sent...the applications often drifted off into obscurity. Did they even receive it? Did I address it correctly? Don't they want me?

It's a whole new world in this second half -- and I mean that figuratively and literally. With a few simple clicks of my mouse I'm shooting applications off here, there and everywhere (which can include around the world, and certainly to prospective employers with a global presence). You gotta love that. It's so easy -- upload my resume, customize a brief online cover letter, include links to my website and voila! I've applied.

And they respond with a confirmation. "Hi Ginny, we received your application. Thank you!" Heck, I'm almost there! We're already on a first name basis.

Then there's the plethora of online job consolidators like Indeed.com, SimplyHired.com and CareerBuilder.com -- and that's just a tiny scratch in the surface. Pages and pages of employment possibilities shining away at me from my computer screen.

Much like surfing the Internet, surfing for job prospects is a little addicting. Who knows what might be out there tomorrow, tonight, or a few minutes from now?

I gotta get a grip, because job surfing is not the same as working and the amount of time I spend doing it might be better spent, say, writing a book -- that I'll publish on the Internet! Or playing cello. Or baking cookies for my husband. And there is that laundry....

Technology. Love it.



1 comment:

  1. Ms Gin,
    Keep working it and never give up on your dreams. A long time ago, I thought I was meant to be in a certain job, but for whatever reason, I would always get aced out of posted position. I lost track of the number of times I came in second, but knew it was only a matter of time before I would get my dream job. Little did I know my dream job wasn’t really my dream job. As fate would have it, I ended up in a position that I happened to be good at and actually enjoyed the time I spent doing it.

    That position ended up taking me into another position where I never even thought I would ever be in, but apparently it was meant to be because I accepted the position and never looked back. Things have been great and I think when the time comes, I will end my career in my current position with no regrets. Not getting my dream job was actually a blessing in disguise otherwise I wouldn’t be where I’m at today.

    I guess what I’m saying is keep doing what you are doing because believe it or not, there is a plan in place for you. You may get down at times, I know because I was very down in my life. I don’t care what they say, second place isn’t all that great. Anyway, my point is you may get shot down, but you take on the new position with gusto and you show them what you can do. Next thing you know, you end up enjoying what you are doing and for those who don’t enjoy what you end up do, well keep doing a good job and you will be rewarded. Maybe not in that position, but perhaps somebody recognizes the hard work you are doing and rewards with another opportunity. Who knows, right?

    ReplyDelete